Working while you are seeking asylum

While you are an asylum seeker you may work or prepare yourself in different ways for finding a job.

Can I work while seeking asylum?

Yes, you can work while seeking asylum, but you need certification from the Swedish Migration Agency that shows that you do not need a work permit. You can find out more about what rules apply on the websites of the Swedish Migration Agency and the Swedish Tax Agency.

About working while you are seeking asylum (

You must have a coordination number from the Swedish Tax Agency in order to receive a salary and pay tax in Sweden.

Information about coordination number (

Prepare yourself for working in Sweden at is a digital tool where you fill out your previously work experience and what skills and other experience you have. You can fill out the information in your own language. You can then choose to share your skills profile with different employers and then have it translated into Swedish.

Read more about how to use Jobskills to show what you can do and to find a job.

Salary and tax

If you have been receiving money from the Swedish Migration Agency while seeking asylum and you then find a job, you need to inform the Swedish Migration Agency of this. Thus, you cannot work and receive financial allowance at the same time.

Have your education and experience evaluated

Have you worked or educated yourself in a country other than Sweden, but lack certificates? You can have your skills evaluated to see how well they fit in Sweden. This is called validation.

Have your skills evaluated and recognised