When you become unemployed

You don't need to go to one of our offices. Use your electronic ID (e-ID) to register on our website on your first day of unemployment. Book a planning conversation with an employment officer and apply for unemployment benefits directly.

How to register

Register with us the first day you are unemployed

It is important you enroll with us from the first day of unemployment . Then the unemployment benefit insurance may assess your eligibility from your first day of unemployment.

When you register with us on the first day of your unemployment and are actively seeking work, another government agency, or municipality, may assess your right to compensation. For example, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency may decide on your sickness benefit allowance qualifying income (SGI).

Fill in all the information you can. The more you tell us the faster we can help you.

How to register

  • Log in with your electronic ID (such as Mobile Bank ID).
  • If you do not have an account on arbetsformedlingen.se, you must first fill in your information and create an account.
  • Once you have created an account and are logged in with your electronic ID, you can begin your registration of unemployment.
  • You will need to fill in details about, for example, your education, previous jobs, skills and what kind of job you are looking for. Prepare yourself by collecting together your grades, certificates, CV and other documents.
  • At the end you will be able to book your first meeting with us.


Contact your unemployment benefit office

Unemployment benefit is money that you can receive when you are unemployed. How much money you can receive depends among other things on how much you have worked previously and if you are a member of an unemployment benefit insurance fund.

Contact your unemployment benefit office and apply for benefit. The simplest way to do this is to log in on your unemployment benefit office’s website.

If you are not a member of an unemployment benefit insurance fund you can still receive some payment.

Unemployment benefit

Prepare your meeting with us

Before your first meeting with us, it is good if you begin preparing yourself and doing a little planning yourself. You can for example:

  • review and update your CV
  • access your grades and certificates
  • think about what you want to do.

Before your first meeting

What happens at the meeting?

At your first meeting with us, you and an employment officer among other things look at:

  • your skills
  • what kind of job you are looking for
  • what the labour market looks like
  • what support you can get from us
  • what to do to achieve your goals.

Questions and answers

How do I cancel or rebook a meeting with you?

You cancel or rebook your meeting with the Public Employment Service by contacting us by phone or chat. You can also visit an office with a client square.

Remember to be in touch well in advance of the meeting!

Contact us

Can I register without electronic identification?

If you do not have electronic identification you can prepare your registration on the website. Then log in with your user name and password. Then you need to visit us to be registered with us as a job-seeker. You cannot book your visit in advance. Your first day of registration is counted from the day you visit us in person.

You need to visit us within 14 days of registering your details here on our website. If you do not do so, your details are deleted automatically.

Create an account

Can I register earlier than my first day of unemployment?

Yes. But then you need to visit us your first day unemployed so as to not miss out on compensation from the unemployment insurance fund.

Contact us

How do I report unemployment to the unemployment benefits society?

When you sign up on our website with electronic ID, you state at the same time that you intend to apply for unemployment benefits. Then visit your unemployment benefits society’s website to fill in the information they need.

If you are already signed up and registered with an unemployment benefits society, but are paused because you have worked or have been ill for a period of time, you need to contact us by phone or chat. We then notify your unemployment benefits society that you are again a job seeker. You can also visit an office with a client square.

Contact us

What is sickness benefit qualifying income (SGI)?

Your SGI affects the size of for example sickness benefit and parental allowance. It is Försäkringskassan that calculates your SGI. Contact Försäkringskassan if you have questions about your SGI.


What applies when I have received severance pay?

If you receive severance pay without beginning a new job, you need to register as a job-seeker with us. Remember to register the very first day after your employment ends; otherwise you risk losing your SGI with Försäkringskassan.

You cannot be paid unemployment benefit while you are receiving severance pay. Contact your unemployment benefit office and they will calculate the time worked that your severance pay corresponds to.

It is not until your period with severance pay has ended that you can be paid unemployment benefit.

What should I do if I am given notice or my employment is terminated?

Register with us to get help finding a job. Also contact your trade union to find out if you can get support and if so what organisation you should contact. Arbetsförmedlingen, the unemployment security organisations and your employer often collaborate to be able to give you good support.

How can I see if I am enrolled?

If you are unsure if you are enrolled or not you can log onto My Pages with your electronic ID to check. If you are registered with Arbetsförmedlingen it will say “my enrolment” under your name. If it says "Enroll" under your name, you are not enrolled.

How do I get a certificate that I'm enrolled?

You can print a certificate that you are enrolled with us. Log in to My Pages with your electronic ID and go to “View/Change my details”. Choose “Documents and certificates” and you will receive your certificate as a PDF ready for printing or presentation.

I did not fill in which unemployment benefit insurance I am a member of when enrolling. What should I do now?

If you have not indicated that you will be applying for unemployment benefit insurance when enrolling at our website you can call us and we will inform your unemployment benefit insurance. However, if you enrolled during a visit you will need to visit us again for us to be able to inform your unemployment benefit insurance. Your report to your unemployment benefit insurance applies from the date you call or visit us and is able to prove your identity.