Starta eget, stöd till start av näringsverksamhet
If you are a job-seeker and have the potential to run your own business, you can get enterprise start-up support. The support can normally be given for up to 6 months but during the Corona pandemic that time is extended up to 12 months.
Enterprise start-up support is for those who want to start up a business, alone or together with others. The prerequisite for receiving the support is that your business concept has the potential to be profitable and will provide you with a long-term income. You cannot be granted the support if the business you are going to run is in an industry where it is difficult for employers to find skilled workers.
You need to be registered with us as a job-seeker.
You also need to meet the following conditions in order to get enterprise start-up support, 2021:
- You are at least 18 years old.
- You have no debts registered with the Swedish Enforcement Authority and do not have a record of non-payment.
- You are unemployed or at risk of becoming unemployed. Exceptions apply to those who live in certain sparsely populated municipalities in Norrland and central Sweden.
- You have a business idea and are thinking about starting up a business but have not yet started any business activities.
- You do not already own a company, nor are you a CEO, board member or signatory. If you have had a business before, it must have been discontinued for at least a year.
How it works
If you have a business idea, you need first of all to write a business plan and draw up a budget. You can find more information about how to write a business plan and run a business at verksamt.se.
We will then assess your business plan and your potential to run a business. We start by looking at your experience and what other abilities and circumstances you have for running your own business. We also take into account the circumstances of the labour market and competition in your industry.
If you want to start your own business, you can in some cases do an internship to increase your experience in the industry in which you want to run your business. If you have not run a business before, we can offer information meetings, consultancy and an enterprise start-up course. The start-up course can offer you help with describing your business idea, writing a business plan, drawing up a budget for your business and learning about taxes, accounting, marketing, etc.
You can also get support from a mentor, who, prior to and especially during start-up, will give you follow-up, advice and guidance.
You can get help from an interpreter if necessary to access the information.
Benefit and conditions
When you receive this support, you are taking part in a programme. You can then apply for benefit from Försäkringskassan. Here, you will find out more about how to apply for the benefit and what rules apply when you take part in one of our programmes.
If you have a documented disability, you can apply for extra financial support when you start up the business.
Frequently asked questions and answers
How long do I need to be a job seeker in order to apply for enterprise start-up support?
There is no time requirement but you must be able to show Arbetsförmedlingen that you have applied for jobs but not been successful. It is important that your business idea/start-up is assessed as being a better option than continuing to apply for jobs.
Do I have to apply for jobs during the period I am receiving enterprise start-up support?
It is important you continue to apply for jobs and submit activity reports to Arbetsförmedlingen every month throughout the period when you are preparing to start up a business.
What is enterprise start-up support?
It enables you to prepare for the start-up of your business and at the same time receive financial support which will be paid out to you every month.
You can get advice from Arbetsförmedlingen on what things to consider and find out before and during the start-up of your business. In addition, you can get guidance from a mentor.
How do I apply for enterprise start-up support?
- First of all, you and Arbetsförmedlingen need to discuss what opportunities there could be for you on the job market with regard to finding a new job or starting up a business. Together, we will investigate if starting up an enterprise is the best and fastest way for you to provide for yourself.
- If we decide that enterprise start-up support might be appropriate, you will need to set out your business idea in a business plan and draw up a budget that you submit to us for assessment.
- The purpose of the assessment is that both you and Arbetsförmedlingen will conclude that you have a good chance of succeeding with starting up a business and be able to support yourself in the long term.
How will I know if I can receive enterprise start-up support and what happens next?
We will contact you when the assessment of your business plan and budget is complete. If they are approved, you can then register your company and apply for any necessary permits. Arbetsförmedlingen will then take a decision on enterprise start-up support and if/when you can start up your business.
For how long can I get enterprise start-up support?
The support can normally be given for up to 6 months but during the Corona pandemic that time is extended up to 12 months. If you are taking part in the Job and Development Guarantee programme, you are entitled to the support for 450 benefit days. Once those benefit days have been used up, you can apply for income support from your municipality.
What happens when enterprise start-up support ends?
You need to decide in good time before your financial support ends whether you are going to continue running the company or wind it down and start applying for jobs again. If you continue to run your company, you will be de-registered from Arbetsförmedlingen.
How to take the next step
Prepare yourself to explain why the support could increase your job opportunities.
We review your situation together. An employment officer assesses whether the support is a good way to increase your job opportunities.
What support we can offer you depends on what your situation looks like. Who is entitled to any kind of support is ultimately regulated by the government.