Starta eget, stöd till start av näringsverksamhet
If you are a jobseeker and have what it takes to run a company you may be eligible for a start-up grant, something we call support to start a business. The support is provided for six months.
Enterprise start-up support is for those who want to start up a business, alone or together with others. The prerequisite for receiving the support is that your business concept has the potential to be profitable and will provide you with a long-term income. You cannot be granted the support if the business you are going to run is in an industry where it is difficult for employers to find skilled workers.
You need to be registered with us as a jobseeker.
You also need to meet the following requirements in order to receive a start-up grant (support to start a business):
- You are 18 years of age or older.
- You have been looking for work for a minimum of two months without success.
- You have no debts registered with the Swedish Enforcement Authority (Kronofogdemyndigheten) and no records for non-payment of debts.
- You are unemployed or at risk of becoming unemployed. Exceptions apply for those who live in certain rural municipalities in Norrland and central Sweden.
- You have a business idea and are thinking about starting a company. You must not have started the business before applying for the support.
- You do not already own a company and are not an MD, company director or authorised signatory. If you have had a company previously, it must have been dissolved for more than one year.
Even if you meet the basic requirements, you first need to be reviewed and approved by Arbetsförmedlingen in order to receive the support. An approval depends on how we assess your business idea, what the labour market is like for what you want to do and where in the country you want to start the company. These factors can vary over time.
How it works
If, together with an employment officer, you have agreed that starting your own business could be appropriate measure for you, then you will be encouraged to write a business plan in which you describe your business idea and work out a budget for the company’s finances.
Once that is done, the business plan will be sent to one of our procured suppliers who will assess whether your business plan is workable, and if it is approved, you will be awarded the start-up grant. The support is provided for six months.
If you are unsure about how to write a business plan or set a budget and need information about accounting, tax, contracts and marketing, we can offer training in these areas.
Benefit and conditions
When you receive this support, you are taking part in a programme. You can then apply for benefit from Försäkringskassan. Here, you will find out more about how to apply for the benefit and what rules apply when you take part in one of our programmes.
If you have a documented disability, you can apply for extra financial support when you start up the business.
Frequently asked questions and answers
How long do I need to be a job seeker in order to apply for enterprise start-up support?
There is no time requirement but you must be able to show Arbetsförmedlingen that you have applied for jobs but not been successful. It is important that your business idea/start-up is assessed as being a better option than continuing to apply for jobs.
Do I have to apply for jobs during the period I am receiving enterprise start-up support?
It is important you continue to apply for jobs and submit activity reports to Arbetsförmedlingen every month throughout the period when you are preparing to start up a business.
What is enterprise start-up support?
It enables you to prepare for the start-up of your business and at the same time receive financial support which will be paid out to you every month.
You can get advice from Arbetsförmedlingen on what things to consider and find out before and during the start-up of your business. In addition, you can get guidance from a mentor.
How do I apply for enterprise start-up support?
- First of all, you and Arbetsförmedlingen need to discuss what opportunities there could be for you on the job market with regard to finding a new job or starting up a business. Together, we will investigate if starting up an enterprise is the best and fastest way for you to provide for yourself.
- If we decide that enterprise start-up support might be appropriate, you will need to set out your business idea in a business plan and draw up a budget that you submit to us for assessment.
- The purpose of the assessment is that both you and Arbetsförmedlingen will conclude that you have a good chance of succeeding with starting up a business and be able to support yourself in the long term.
How will I know if I can receive enterprise start-up support and what happens next?
We will contact you when the assessment of your business plan and budget is complete. If they are approved, you can then register your company and apply for any necessary permits. Arbetsförmedlingen will then take a decision on enterprise start-up support and if/when you can start up your business.
What happens when enterprise start-up support ends?
You need to decide in good time before your financial support ends whether you are going to continue running the company or wind it down and start applying for jobs again. If you continue to run your company, you will be de-registered from Arbetsförmedlingen.
How to take the next step
Prepare yourself to explain why the support could increase your job opportunities.
We review your situation together. An employment officer assesses whether the support is a good way to increase your job opportunities.
What support we can offer you depends on what your situation looks like. Who is entitled to any kind of support is ultimately regulated by the government.