Register as a jobseeker

Register your first day of unemployment. Start by logging in with e-identification and creating an account. Start Register (Skriv in dig) and enter all information, for example: what jobs you are looking for and what experience you have. Then schedule a planning meeting with an Employment Officer. Contact your unemployment insurance fund (a-kassa) to apply for compensation.

Page contents

When should I register?

It is important that you register with us on your first day of unemployment. Then your unemployment insurance fund can assess your entitlement to compensation from the first day of unemployment. You can start filling in information before you have become unemployed. Then wait until your first day of unemployment to submit the information.

When you register with us on the first day you are unemployed and actively seeking a job, another agency or municipality can assess your right to compensation. For example, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan) can decide on your income qualifying for sickness benefit (sjukpenninggrundande inkomst, SGI).

How do I register?

  • Step one is to log in using e-identification on our website.
  • Go to Register (Skriv in dig) and enter information about your education, work experience and skills. Make sure you have plenty of time while registering. The more we know, the faster we can help you.
  • In the last step, you book a time for a planning discussion with an employment officer and then send in your registration. You may receive a call directly after registering. If you already know when registering that you will start working or studying within three months, then it is not necessary to book a planning discussion. Instead, you will be asked if you wish to be deregistered when you start your new employment. Your registration is then submitted after you answer this question.

Once you have entered all the information and sent in your registration, you will receive confirmation that you have been registered as a jobseeker.

If you do not have access to a computer or mobile phone, you can visit a service office and borrow a computer.

If you do not have e-identification, you can prepare your information online. In that case, log in with a username and password and then enter your information in Register (Skriv in dig). Then you will need to visit a service office to be registered as a jobseeker. Your first registered day will be counted from the day that you visit a service office. We will then notify your unemployment insurance fund that you are unemployed so that you can apply for compensation. Bring identification when you visit the service office.

Before visiting a service office, check the opening hours, as they may change quickly.

Find a service office

You must visit a service office within 14 days from the date that you submitted the information here on the website. If you do not, your information will automatically be erased.



11 minutes 7 seconds

In this video, we give you step-by-step guidance on how to register as a jobseeker with the Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen). (Subtitles in Swedish, English and Arabic)

Apply for unemployment benefit

When you are unemployed and have registered with us, you can apply for benefit from an unemployment insurance fund during the time you are looking for a job. How much you can receive will depend, among other things, on how much you have worked previously and if you are a member of an unemployment insurance fund.

Contact your unemployment benefit office and apply for benefit. The simplest way to do this is to log into your unemployment benefit office’s website.

If you are not a member of an unemployment benefit fund, you can apply for membership and basic compensation when you become unemployed. If you do not want to become a member of an unemployment benefit fund, you can apply for basic compensation from the “Alfa-kassan” fund.

Unemployment benefit

Get prepared before the planning discussion

You book a planning discussion with an employment officer when you register. However, you do not need to book a planning discussion if you are due to start work or studies within three months.

Prepare for the planning discussion

Questions and answers

How do I schedule or cancel a meeting with Arbetsförmedlingen?

If you cannot attend the meeting, for example due to a job interview or work, you must reschedule the time for your first planning meeting. Log in to My pages (Mina sidor) to reschedule and choose a new time.

My pages

If you are sick or caring for a sick child (VAB), you cannot reschedule the meeting yourself. Instead, you must call us to notify us of the issue and receive a new time. You must also call to cancel the meeting.

How do I register as unemployed with an unemployment insurance fund?

When you register with us on our website using e-identification, you simultaneously state your intention to seek compensation from an unemployment insurance fund. Then visit your unemployment insurance fund’s website to fill in the required information.

If you are already registered with an unemployment insurance fund but have been put on pause because you have worked or been ill for a period, you need to contact us by telephone or chat on your first day of unemployment. We will inform your unemployment insurance fund that you are a jobseeker once again.

Contact us

What is sickness benefit qualifying income, SGI?

SGI means sickness benefit qualifying income. Försäkringskassan calculates your SGI. Your SGI determines how much money you are entitled to should you, for example, get ill or go on parental leave.

Contact Försäkringskassan if you have questions regarding SGI and to what extent you can protect it during various circumstances.

Försäkringskassan (

What applies if I have received severance pay?

If you have received severance pay we recommend you register with us on your first day of unemployment, and register with your unemployment insurance fund. The unemployment insurance fund will then be able to calculate your first possible date of receiving compensation. The unemployment insurance fund considers severance pay as salary.

Get in touch with Försäkringskassan to receive more information on your sickness benefit qualifying income as it may be affected when you register with us.

If you register for unemployment during the period you have severance pay you need to be an active job seeker as well. This means that you need to apply for jobs and report your job seeking activity each month.

What should I take into consideration if I am furloughed or terminated?

All those who are furloughed will not necessarily be terminated, but it is wise to prepare in case this happens.

Look up what applies for things like notice periods for you specifically. Start compiling your CV and introductory letter so that you are ready should you become unemployed.

If you become unemployed you need to register with us on your first day of unemployment. This is most easily done on our website.

How can I see if I am enrolled?

You can log in to My Pages to check your registration. If you are registered with Arbetsförmedlingen, it will say ‘Registered’ (‘Inskriven’) and the registration date under your name. You can also see your registration certificate under My Documents. If it says ‘You are not registered’ (‘Du är inte inskriven’) under your name, you have not been registered.

How do I get a certificate that I'm enrolled?

You can print a certificate stating that you are registered with us. Log in to My Pages with your e-identification and go to ‘My Documents’. You will find your registration certificate in PDF format, which you can print or display.

I did not fill in which unemployment benefit insurance I am a member of when enrolling. What should I do now?

If you did not state that you want to apply for unemployment benefit when you registered, you can phone us and we can notify your unemployment benefit fund. Your registration for unemployment benefit is valid from the date on which you phone or visit us and can provide valid ID.

What do I do if I want to register, I do not have e-identification (e-legitimation), and the service office is closed?

The National Government Service Centre (Statens servicecenter) always tries to have a service office open nearby, so look up the opening hours for your nearest service office in advance.

If you do not have e-identification and have to travel a long distance to reach your nearest open service office, you can call us and speak to an employment officer to begin the registration process. Please note that your registration is not complete until you visit a service office and prove your identity.