If you are new in Sweden and taking part in the Introducion Programme, the Intensive Year could be an opportunity for you. Over a period of one year, you can study at a fast pace or do an intensive full-time internship at a place of work, in combination with spare-time activities. The goal is for you to find a job quickly.

What is it?

The Intensive Year is intended for people who are new in Sweden and taking part in the Introducion Programme. Participants can study Swedish at a fast pace or do an intensive full-time internship in order to find work quickly.

You will be encouraged to meet up with a mentor and take part in other activities in your spare time that will help you to learn Swedish. The goal is that after completing the Intensive Year, you will be able to find a job in a specific field or profession. When you have finished the Intensive Year, you will be given a certificate of knowledge which describes what you have achieved and your language and occupational skills.

The Intensive Year has a special focus on gender equality, the goal being that both women and men will find work to the same degree.

For whom?

  • The Intensive Year is for people participating in the Introducion Programme.
  • You must have at least 12 months of the programme left.
  • You must be able to take part full-time.

This is how it works

  • We will begin by discussing your previous education and work experience with you.
  • We will assess whether the Intensive Year would be suitable for you.
  • Together, we will decide which occupation or field of work would suit you.
  • We will draw up a plan of activities that you will benefit from.

Some examples of activities are:

  • Language classes if you need to gain a basic knowledge of Swedish: Swedish for Immigrants (SFI) or vocational SFI.
  • Assessment of your occupational skills.
  • Intensive internship.
  • Guidance and motivating meetings with an employment officer on the basis of your needs.
  • Support from a mentor who has work experience in Sweden in the field that you want to work in.

During your Intensive Year, we will follow up on how things are going and give you the support you need. Participation in the Intensive Year programme is voluntary.

After the intensive year

If you have participated in the intensive year for one year and have had job experience and studied Swedish, you can obtain a certificate proving what you have learned that we call a knowledge certificate. You can contact us as Arbetsförmedlingen to receive a knowledge certificate.

Who can obtain a knowledge certificate?

To obtain a knowledge certificate you must have participated in the intensive year for a whole year. You must have studied Swedish and been to a workplace and had job experience or gained vocational knowledge in some other way. To obtain a knowledge certificate you must get in touch with us within six months of completing the intensive year.

Why should I have a knowledge certificate?

The knowledge certificate describes what you have learned and what vocational knowledge you have within the occupation. You can use it and show employers the knowledge certificate when you apply for jobs.

How do I get a knowledge certificate?

Talk to your personal contact at Arbetsförmedlingen who has helped you during the intensive year.

Benefit and conditions

When you receive this support, you are taking part in a programme. You can then apply for benefit from Försäkringskassan. Here, you will find out more about how to apply for the benefit and what rules apply when you take part in one of our programmes.

When you take part in a programme

How to take the next step

Contact us

Prepare yourself to explain why the support could increase your job opportunities.


We review your situation together. An employment officer assesses whether the support is a good way to increase your job opportunities.


What support we can offer you depends on what your situation looks like. Who is entitled to any kind of support is ultimately regulated by the government.