Do you need to gain work experience to increase your chances of getting a job? Then a work experience placement, arbetspraktik, could be right for you. Experience in a workplace can also be a useful option if you are preparing to start your own business.
Arbetspraktik means that you try out working in a workplace. By gaining work experience, you maintain and strengthen your skills.
If you are new to Sweden and have a profession or trade, but have little or no experience of Swedish working life, you can have your competence assessed by a supervisor during the work experience. The assessment is useful when you are looking for a job. The assessment takes up to three weeks and can be done at a workplace, a vocational college or similar.
A work experience placement is for those who need to gain work experience and thereby increase their chances of getting a job. You need to be registered as a job seeker with us. You also need to satisfy one of the following:
- You are at least 25 years old and unemployed or at risk of becoming unemployed.
- You are under 30 years old and have a disability that affects your ability to work.
- You are 18 years old, unemployed and need extra support to enter the labour market.
- You are 20 years old and are covered by a utbildningskontrakt.
- You are a newcomer to Sweden and are taking part in or have taken part in the etableringsprogrammet.
- You are a newcomer to Sweden and have or have had an etableringsplan.
- You participate in the jobbgarantin för unga or in the jobb- och utvecklingsgarantin.
How it works
- We assess whether a work experience placement would be a good support for you.
- You then need to find a work experience place, on your own or with our help. You can gain work experience with both private and public employers.
- We plan the structure of the work experience together with you and the employer. We also consult the trade union.
- After your work experience, you will receive a certificate from the work experience place that describes the experience you have received. If your work experience programme includes an assessment of your professional competence, you will receive a written result of the assessment.
You can receive aktivitetsstöd, utvecklingsersättning eller etaberlingsersättning when you take work experience.
You are insured when you take work experience and are covered by both personal injury and group life insurance policies.
How to take the next step
Prepare yourself to explain why the support could increase your job opportunities.
We review your situation together. An employment officer assesses whether the support is a good way to increase your job opportunities.
What support we can offer you depends on what your situation looks like. Who is entitled to any kind of support is ultimately regulated by the government.