You don't need to go to one of our offices. Use your electronic ID (e-ID) to register on our website on your first day of unemployment. Book a planning conversation with an employment officer and apply for unemployment benefits directly.

How to register

Register with us the first day you are unemployed

It is important you enroll with us from the first day of unemployment . Then the unemployment benefit insurance may assess your eligibility from your first day of unemployment.

When you register with us on the first day of your unemployment and are actively seeking work, another government agency, or municipality, may assess your right to compensation. For example, the Swedish Social Insurance Agency may decide on your sickness benefit allowance qualifying income (SGI).

Fill in all the information you can. The more you tell us the faster we can help you.

How to register

  • Log in with your electronic ID (such as Mobile Bank ID).
  • If you do not have an account on, you must first fill in your information and create an account.
  • Once you have created an account and are logged in with your electronic ID, you can begin your registration of unemployment.
  • You will need to fill in details about, for example, your education, previous jobs, skills and what kind of job you are looking for. Prepare yourself by collecting together your grades, certificates, CV and other documents.
  • At the end you will be able to book your first meeting with us.


Contact your unemployment benefit office

Unemployment benefit is money that you can receive when you are unemployed. How much money you can receive depends among other things on how much you have worked previously and if you are a member of an unemployment benefit insurance fund.

Contact your unemployment benefit office and apply for benefit. The simplest way to do this is to log in on your unemployment benefit office’s website.

If you are not a member of an unemployment benefit insurance fund you can still receive some payment.

Unemployment benefit

Prepare your meeting with us

Before your first meeting with us, it is good if you begin preparing yourself and doing a little planning yourself. You can for example:

  • review and update your CV
  • access your grades and certificates
  • think about what you want to do.

Before your first meeting

What happens at the meeting?

At your first meeting with us, you and an employment officer among other things look at:

  • your skills
  • what kind of job you are looking for
  • what the labour market looks like
  • what support you can get from us
  • what to do to achieve your goals.

Questions and answers

How do I cancel or reschedule an appointment with you?

To cancel or reschedule an appointment you need to get in touch with us.

Should you miss your appointment or forget to inform us that you cannot attend at the scheduled time, this may affect your allowance.

Contact us

Can I register without e-identification?

Are you unable to use our online services but have been registered with us some time in the last two years? If so you may call our phone operator on your first day of unemployment to re-register as a jobseeker. We will then inform your unemployment insurance fund (A-kassa) that you are unemployed so that you can apply for compensation.

If you are unable to use our online service and have not been registered with us at some point in the last two years you need to visit an office to be registered as a job seeker. Remember to bring identification when visiting one of our offices.

There is currently a telephone registration option in order to lessen the spread of the coronavirus.

Can I register before my first day of unemployment?

Yes, you can register with us before you become unemployed, but it is best to wait until your first day of unemployment.

If you register with us online and need to register with an unemployment insurance fund as well, you can call or chat with us on the date you wish to apply. If you have registered with us during a visit to one of our offices you should call our switchboard to make a telephone registration.

Contact us

How do I register as unemployed with an unemployment insurance fund?

When you register with us on our website using e-identification, you simultaneously state your intention to seek compensation from an unemployment insurance fund. Then visit your unemployment insurance fund’s website to fill in the required information.

If you are already registered with an unemployment insurance fund, but have been paused due to working or having been ill for a period, you need to contact us by telephone or chat. We will then inform your unemployment insurance fund that you are a job seeker again.

Contact us

What is sickness benefit qualifying income, SGI?

SGI means sickness benefit qualifying income. Försäkringskassan calculates your SGI. Your SGI determines how much money you are entitled to should you, for example, get ill or go on parental leave.

Contact Försäkringskassan if you have questions regarding SGI and to what extent you can protect it during various circumstances.


What applies if I have received severance pay?

If you have received severance pay we recommend you register with us on your first day of unemployment, and register with your unemployment insurance fund. The unemployment insurance fund will then be able to calculate your first possible date of receiving compensation. The unemployment insurance fund considers severance pay as salary.

Get in touch with Försäkringskassan to receive more information on your sickness benefit qualifying income as it may be affected when you register with us.

If you register for unemployment during the period you have severance pay you need to be an active job seeker as well. This means that you need to apply for jobs and report your job seeking activity each month.

What should I take into consideration if I am furloughed or terminated?

All those who are furloughed will not necessarily be terminated, but it is wise to prepare in case this happens.

Look up what applies for things like notice periods for you specifically. Start compiling your CV and introductory letter so that you are ready should you become unemployed.

If you become unemployed you need to register with us on your first day of unemployment. This is most easily done on our website.

How can I see if I am enrolled?

If you are unsure if you are enrolled or not you can log onto My Pages with your electronic ID to check. If you are registered with Arbetsförmedlingen it will say “my enrolment” under your name. If it says "Enroll" under your name, you are not enrolled.

How do I get a certificate that I'm enrolled?

You can print a certificate that you are enrolled with us. Log in to My Pages with your electronic ID and go to “View/Change my details”. Choose “Documents and certificates” and you will receive your certificate as a PDF ready for printing or presentation.

I did not fill in which unemployment benefit insurance I am a member of when enrolling. What should I do now?

If you have not indicated that you will be applying for unemployment benefit insurance when enrolling at our website you can call us and we will inform your unemployment benefit insurance. However, if you enrolled during a visit you will need to visit us again for us to be able to inform your unemployment benefit insurance. Your report to your unemployment benefit insurance applies from the date you call or visit us and is able to prove your identity.