Studiestöd för utbildning på grundskole- och gymnasienivå

Most jobs require you to have basic education. To increase your chances of a job, you might need a vocational education or upper-secondary education. Through us and other authorities, you can get support to study.

Study with student aid

Student aid consists of grants and loans for studies from CSN. These may include studies in adult education, folk high schools, universities or vocational universities, and certain courses abroad. In some cases, you may even receive a higher grant from CSN to complete an upper-secondary education. The higher grant means that you do not have to take as much loans. On the CSN website, you can read more about the applicable regulations.

CSN - Study aid

CSN - Higher grant for some educations

Study with education entry grants

Education entry grants is a grant that some unemployed people can receive to study and thereby increase their chances of finding employment. Education entry grants consists only of grants, which means that you do not have to take out a loan. It is possible to receive education entry grants for studies in adult education at upper-secondary or primary and lower-secondary level or for general courses at folk high schools. You can receive education entry grants for up to 50 weeks if you are studying full-time and 100 weeks if you are studying part-time.

More about education entry grants

In order to receive education entry grants, you need to

  • be between 25 and 56 years of age
  • have a short previous education
  • have a significant need for education at primary and lower-secondary or upper-secondary level in order to be able to find a job
  • have been unemployed or participated in a programme from the Swedish Public Employment Service for a total of at least six months for a period of 12 months prior to the start of the application or the start of the education*
  • have not received financial aid from CSN for the last three years.

*In 2020, you can apply for an Education Entry Grant even if you have been unemployed or have participated in the introduction programme for less than six months in the past twelve months. This has been decided by the Government in view of the current situation on the labour market due to COVID-19.

Before you apply for education entry grants, you will meet with a guidance counsellor at the municipality. You will set up a plan for your studies together and discuss what grants and loans may be relevant to you. If you agree that education entry grants would be right for you, you will submit an application.

You can read more about the applicable regulations on the CSN website.

CSN and education entry grants

Study with support from the Swedish Public Employment Service

You can receive financial support while studying within the framework of one of our programmes. You can receive compensation in the form of activity support, introduction benefit or establishment allowance. For example, you can study within the establishment programme and receive financial support to study if you are in the Job and Development Programme. Talk to us if you're in a programme and want more information.

Preparatory educations

There are several ways to prepare for studies Maybe you lack some qualifications or don't know what courses you should take. Or you are not sure if you want or are able to study. The Swedish Public Employment Service has many preparatory training courses that can help you. Talk to us for more information.

More on preparatory educations

There are several preparatory courses you can attend through the Employment Service to prepare for studies. Here are some examples:

  • Vocational and study preparation modules. A guidance course that will support you in finding a profession that you want to start studying for. Or support to find a profession where you can apply for a job directly.
  • Study motivational course at a folk high school. The course makes you better equipped to continue studying, through motivational efforts, training in study technique and a focus on Swedish, English, mathematics and social studies.
  • Establishment course at a folk high school. For those who are part of the establishment programme. You study Swedish, often interspersed with study visits, internships, and other initiatives that prepare you for further studies or jobs.